Strawberries marinated in lime juice
- Mix together the strawberries, sugar, mint, lime zest and lime juice in a bowl.
- Marinate at room temperature for about 15 minutes, stirring from time to time. Set aside.
Whipped mascarpone cream
- Using an electric mixer, beat the mascarpone cheese at medium speed for 1 minute until obtaining an even consistency.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream at high speed until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Incorporate the mascarpone cheese beating at low speed (only 60 to 90 seconds) until smooth.
- Place a sponge cake on a serving plate or cake stand.
- Spread half the marinated strawberry slices over the cake.
- Add half of the mascarpone cream over the strawberries.
- Cover with the second cake and repeat steps 2 and 3.
- Top with whole strawberries and mint leaves.
For single-serving cakes, use mini angel food cakes cut widthwise to make 2 layers. Assemble according to instructions above.