- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat and cook garlic until golden. Add tomatoes and continue cooking for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add basil. Season, cover, and let sit.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and sear eggplant slices. Reserve.
- Beat eggs lightly in a shallow bowl, adding a pinch of salt. Place flour on a plate and set near bowl of beaten eggs. Dip eggplant slices in beaten egg and then dip both sides in flour to coat.
- Fry eggplant slices on both sides until golden. Blot eggplant on paper towels. Reserve.
- Mix together all filling ingredients well in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Top each eggplant slice with about 15 mL (1 tbsp.) filling and roll them up.
- Spread 250 mL (1 cup) sauce over bottom of rectangular baking dish. Lay eggplant rolls side by side in dish seam side down so that they do not unroll. Pour remaining sauce over rolls and garnish with basil if you like. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh Parmesan and serve.
For a vegetarian version, replace ground meat by tinned or freshly cooked lentils, mashed.
Recipe adapted from Je cuisine italien by Stefano Faita, published by Éditions du Trécarré.