Italian sausage, pear, and wild mushroom pastry cups
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat and sauté the mushrooms and shallots for a few minutes.
- Add the white wine, sausage meat, mustard seeds, and pears. Stir together and cook over medium-high heat a few more minutes. Salt and pepper to taste and set aside in a mixing bowl.
- In the meantime, layer 4 phyllo sheets, brushing melted butter between each layer. Cut into 32 rectangles (8 rectangles x 4 rectangles). Line a mini-muffin tin with the phyllo rectangles to form phyllo cups.
- Fill each cup with about 15 mL (1 tbsp.) of filling (about 32 pastry cups).
Turkey breast and tomato confit turnovers
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat and brown the onions.
- Add the tomatoes and maple syrup. Mix together. Reduce mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated (about 10 minutes). Set aside.
- Cook the turkey in the same skillet for a few minutes. Add the turkey to the tomato mixture and then add the cheese. Season generously.
- To prepare the turnovers, layer 4 phyllo sheets, brushing melted butter between each layer. Cut into 16 rectangles (4 rectangles x 4 rectangles). Place 10 mL (2 tsp.) of filling onto each phyllo rectangle. Fold the pastry to form a triangle. Fold the overhanging piece of pastry over to seal the turnover. Brush again with melted butter to seal everything in. Repeat these steps with the remaining ingredients.
- Place the turnovers on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Mix 125 mL (½ cup) of sour cream with 125 mL (½ cup) of plain yogurt.
- Add the finely chopped leaves of 4 sprigs of rosemary. Salt to taste.
Cooking and serving the appetizers
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake the pastry cups and turnovers for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Rotate the baking trays part way through baking so appetizers brown uniformly.
- Serve appetizers hot with the rosemary sauce.