T-bone steak with peppercorn sauce
- Preheat the barbecue to medium-high.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper on both sides. Lightly brush asparagus with olive oil.
- Place steaks, asparagus, and peppers on the grill.
- Cook steaks 4 to 6 minutes per side with the lid closed or until the meat thermometer registers 63°C (145°F) for rare doneness.
- Cook asparagus and pepper 3 minutes per side or until grilled but still tender-crisp. Cool vegetables then cut into bite-size pieces.
- In the meantime, heat the sauce according to package directions. Keep warm.
- Whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, marjoram, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Combine the lettuce, cucumber, green onion, asparagus, pepper, and vinaigrette in a large bowl.
- Serve the T-bone steaks topped with peppercorn sauce alongside the grilled vegetable salad.
- Trim the asparagus by snapping off the hard white stalks at the bottom (about 2 cm/1 in.)
- To make barbecuing asparagus easier, fashion it into a raft by placing 4 or 5 spears side by side. Use wooden skewers (soaked an hour beforehand) to spear the tips and bases.
- If you've gone to the trouble of making nice grill patterns on the steaks, serve them with the sauce underneath so the pattern is not hidden.