- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Blend butter, tarragon and shallots in a small bowl. Reserve 15 mL (1 tbsp.) of this blend. Generously spread remaining tarragon butter beneath the skin of the hen. Season with salt and pepper.
- Tie legs together with string and place guinea hen breast-up in a large ovenproof dish. Pour wine and chicken stock around hen.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 180°C (350°F) and continue roasting for 1 hour, or until meat thermometer reads 82°C (180°F).
- Baste hen regularly during cooking. Remove from oven and allow to rest, covered with aluminum foil, for 10 minutes.
- During this time, heat reserved tarragon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears and cook for 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Using a ladle, skim fat from roasting juices. Transfer juice to a gravy boat. Serve guinea hen with pears and roasting juices.
Replace tarragon and shallots by 30 mL (2 tbsp.) each: fresh thyme and lemon zest. Insert a large onion cut in quarters in the hen cavity.