Quick apple pie from Stefano Faita
- Whisk together the brown sugar, flour, salt, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add apple slices and stir well to coat. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out pastry dough into a large, ½-cm (¼-in.) thick circle.
- Use a large spatula to lift the dough and carefully place it onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place the reserved apple mixture on top of the pastry.
- Gently turn up the edge of the crust so it covers 5-8 cm (2-3 in.) of the apple mixture, for a rustic look or in a pie plate.
- Top the pie with pieces of butter.
- Brush pie crust with beaten egg.
- Bake in a 230 °C (450 °F) oven for 10 minutes and then reduce heat to 190 °C (375 °F) and bake 20 to 30 more minutes, or until filling starts to bubble and the crust becomes golden brown (keep an eye on the crust and cover the edges with foil wrap if they start to brown too quickly).
- Serve pie hot with a scoop of ice cream.