Tarte tatin with French toast topping
- Place the rack in middle of the oven and preheat to 180°C (350°F).
- Simmer the raspberries with 60 mL (¼ cup) of brown sugar and 5 mL (1 tsp.) of cinnamon for about 10 minutes in a saucepan over medium heat. Strain the mixture to remove the seeds and cover the bottom of an ovenproof pie plate with the remaining liquid.
- Cover the top of the raspberry mixture with the apple halves, round side down.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, 30 mL (2 tbsp.) of brown sugar and 5 mL (1 tsp.) of cinnamon.
- Dip the bread slices in the egg mixture and then place them on top so that the tarte is covered. Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar over top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour. When baked, invert the tarte onto a large serving plate. For optimal texture, consume immediately after baking.