Thai-style chicken meal-soup from Josée di Stasio
- Place all broth ingredients in a large pot (for less salty broth, use less fish sauce). Cover with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Strain broth with a fine mesh strainer. This should yield 3 L (12 cups) broth. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. If not using fish sauce, salt broth generously.
- Pour into a large saucepan.
- Remove chicken skin and cut meat into strips. This should produce around 1 L (4 cups). Add chicken strips to broth.
- Add ginger and bok choy (or Napa cabbage) and heat over medium heat for 5 minutes. Before serving, divide rice into bowls. Ladle soup over top and garnish with green onion and cilantro leaves if you wish.