- Preheat the oven to 260°C (500°F).
- In a large saucepan, brown bacon or lardons. Add sausages.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the wine, breadcrumbs, pie dough, and egg to saucepan.
- Mix thoroughly and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the wine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook uncovered over low heat for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to help ingredients cook, until onion is softened and meat cooked.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 60 mL (¼ cup) breadcrumbs to meat mixture.
- Let stand 10 minutes. If enough liquid is absorbed by breadcrumbs, no need to add any more.
- If not, add more breadcrumbs until excess liquid is absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- On a floured work surface, roll out pie dough into two circles.
- Line a 20-23 cm (8-9 in.) pie pan with the first circle of pie dough.
- Add meat filling and cover with second circle of pie dough.
- Cut some steam vents in centre of crust. Seal edges together by hand, making a nice pattern all the way around.
- Brush crust with egg wash and transfer to oven.
- Reduce temperature to 200°C (400°F) and bake until tourtière is golden brown.
You can double or triple this recipe and prepare extra tourtières to store in the freezer.