- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place frozen turkey on a rack in roasting pan and cover with lid.
- Bake turkey in middle of oven for 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes.
- Add vegetables, bunch of thyme, and lemon zest.
- Cover and continue cooking for 1.5–2 hours or until the thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the drumstick reads 82°C (180°F).
- Uncover and let the turkey brown as needed for the final 15 minutes.
- Remove turkey from oven and let stand uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Strain juices from roasting pan and remove fine layer of fat with a spoon.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and add flour.
- Stir well and cook for 4 minutes. Add 750 mL (3 cups) of strained juices and the unsalted chicken broth.
- Let simmer 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 5 mL (1 tsp.) of freshly chopped thyme and add lemon juice.
- Add pepper to taste. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Slice turkey and arrange on a hot serving plate. Keep drumsticks whole and reheat in sauce.
- Pour sauce over turkey and reheat in oven as needed at 150°C (300°F) for 10 minutes, lightly covered with aluminum foil.
- Serve turkey hot with mashed potatoes and cranberry, pear, and ginger chutney.
This recipe and its directions were specifically designed for a preseasoned, frozen Exceldor turkey.
To simplify your to-do list on the day of the event, cook the turkey and sauce in advance. Then all you need to do is reheat everything in the sauce when you’re ready to serve your guests.
Discover the cranberry, pear, and ginger chutney recipe.