- Preheat oven to 190˚C (375˚F). Rinse turkey inside and out under cold water, and then sponge dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix butter, chicken bouillon concentrate, parsley, almonds, cinnamon, ginger and pepper. Spread this mixture generously under and on the turkey skin.
- Place apple and onion chunks inside the cavity of the turkey. Attach the thighs with string.
- Place the turkey, breast up, on a rack in a roasting pan and insert a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the drumstick (without touching bone). Cover loosely with tinfoil. Roast on the lower oven rack for 2 hours 30 minutes.
- Remove tinfoil and continue cooking for 30 minutes or until the thermometer reads 82˚C (180˚F).
- Remove turkey from oven and transfer to a serving plate. Cover with tinfoil and allow to sit for 15 minutes. In the meantime, reserve 45 mL (3 tablespoons) fat from the pan and discard the remainder.
- Place the roasting pan on the stove and heat the reserved fat over medium-high heat. Sprinkle with flour and continue cooking for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add 250 mL (1 cup) chicken stock, whisking constantly.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan to remove brown bits. Add remaining chicken stock and mix well. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a hot gravy dish. Serve the turkey with the gravy.
Suggestion: Leftover turkey makes scrumptious sandwiches. Garnish two slices of country-style bread with a little mayonnaise, cold turkey, lettuce and ground pepper. Delicious!
* To toast almonds, spread onto a baking sheet in a single layer and place under the oven broiler for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden and fragrant.