- Rub the insides of a saucepan and a heavy-bottomed fondue pot with the two garlic halves and leave cloves in saucepan for added flavour. Reserve the fondue pot for serving.
- Pour the beer and lemon juice into saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
- Remove the cheese rinds and grate them. Add the undiluted cornstarch and mix well. Set aside.
- Add the mustard, pepper flakes, nutmeg, and salt. Gradually add the cheeses to the saucepan a bit at a time, stirring continually until smooth (stir in a figure-8 pattern so cheese doesn't form lumps).
- Transfer cheese to fondue pot placed over a flame and serve with your choice of dipping ingredients.
Melt the cheese slowly for creamy fondue.