- Preheat barbecue on high and oil grill.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, fresh herbs, salt, pepper and oil. Rub mixture onto both sides of the steaks. Let stand in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Reduce barbecue heat to medium-high and grill steaks for 5 to 6 minutes per side depending on thickness and desired doneness.
- Remove steaks to a plate and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Let meat rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and toss tomatoes for 2 minutes. Add garlic, basil leaves, and pesto and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Mix well.
- Cut steaks in half (if desired) and garnish each with tomato topping.
To check meat's doneness, always use a meat thermometer inserted in the centre of the thickest part of the cut. For rare doneness, internal temperature should be 63°C (145°F), and for medium doneness, 70°C (160°F).