- Mix melon cubes in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to macerate in the fridge for 12 hours. Transfer melon to a saucepan and add lime juice, ginger and vanilla bean.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 1 hour, or until melon cubes become translucent and liquid has thickened.
- A good way to check if jam is done: pour a little of the cooking liquid onto a cold plate.
- If the cooled liquid wrinkles slightly when touched, the jam is ready. Remove vanilla bean and gingerroot.
- Serve jam on scones or toast, or with pâtés and fine cheeses on bread, or over plain yogurt.
Variation: Add a little white balsamic vinegar to make a chutney to go with chicken, pork and game meats.
Storage: Store jam in the fridge, or use canning methods to store at room temperature.