- Dry bread cubes for a few hours in the open or bake at 150°C (300°F) for 25 minutes.
- Soak mushrooms in boiling water for 15 minutes, drain (keeping the liquid) and dry. Chop mushrooms and set aside.
- In a skillet set over medium-high heat, melt butter and add onions, celery, and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes while stirring.
- Add reserved mushrooms, red grapes, half the thyme, and half the salt. Continue cooking another 5 minutes. Set aside in a large bowl.
- In the same skillet set over medium-high heat, add meat, remaining thyme, and remaining salt. Cook meat for 5 to 7 minutes or until nicely browned. Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Add cooked meat and bread cubes to onion mixture, combine and season generously with pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as required. Pour into a 22 x 32 cm (9 x 13 in) baking dish. Moisten with broth or water reserved from soaking the mushrooms to barely cover the mixture.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for another 30 minutes. Serve immediately as topping on a slice of roasted turkey.
You can add 2 or 3 small bunches of grapes on top of the mixture before placing in the oven.
The butter gives the stuffing a lot of taste, so feel free to add a bit more.