- Rub both sides of veal chops with garlic.
- Season both sides with salt, pepper, and herbes de Provence.
- Marinate 4 hours in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Remove meat from refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking.
In a skillet
- Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat.
- Pour in some olive oil and fry veal chops, about 3 minutes per side depending on thickness.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 2 minutes before serving.
On the barbecue
- Preheat barbecue to high.
- Oil the rack and grill the veal chops about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer veal chops onto cooler side of the barbecue for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Lightly oil asparagus, season with salt, and mix to coat well. Place on the barbecue grill.
- Cook 4 to 5 minutes according to thickness, turning once or twice while they cook.
- Drizzle cooked asparagus with olive oil, taste, and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve hot or warm, topped with orange zest and an orange wedge, if using, as a side dish with the veal chops.
To trim slender asparagus before cooking, break off the woody end by holding it in one hand and bending the other end until the stalk snaps. Use a knife for thicker asparagus.
To store asparagus, cut the bottom of each stalk and stand the bunch upright in a jar half filled with fresh water. Cover with a plastic bag and refrigerate.