Veal, ricotta and Swiss chard manicotti
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Cook manicotti according to package directions. Drain and allow to cool. Heat oil over high heat in a non-stick skillet. Add onion and garlic, and cook until onion is translucent. Incorporate ground veal and continue cooking until meat is no longer pink. Add Swiss chard and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Remove from heat.
- Add ricotta cheese and pesto; season with salt and pepper. Mix well being sure to break up big pieces. Add egg and incorporate well.
- Using a spoon, stuff reserved manicotti shells with meat preparation. Spread 125 mL (1/2 cup) of sauce over the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Arrange manicotti in a row, and pour remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and season with pepper to taste.
- Cover with sheet of aluminum foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 10 minutes.
- You can replace the Swiss chard with rapini that has been blanched for 2 minutes in boiling water.
- Try a vegetarian version made with tofu. Chop tofu or use a food processor to obtain a texture similar to ground meat and follow the same directions.