- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Wash and gently scrub beets under running water. Wrap individually in aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until beets are tender and the peel easily slips off. Allow to cool somewhat.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, balsamic vinegar, orange juice, Dijon mustard and garlic. Set aside.
- Peel beets and slice thinly. In a large bowl, mix beet slices, orange segments, onion and basil leaves. Add vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper. Gently toss salad.
- Garnish with orange zest and Tabasco sauce to taste. Serve immediately.
*To remove orange segments: Use a knife to slice off peel at both ends of the orange, exposing flesh. Stand the fruit on one end and remove all remaining peel and pith with knife. To cut out segments, run knife blade along each section to remove orange from the membrane.
: Replace oranges by chunks of unpeeled apple, balsamic vinegar by cider vinegar, and orange juice and zest by lemon juice and zest. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.