- Using a chef's knife or kitchen shears, cut chicken in half through the backbone and spread it out flat (shape resembles a toad).
- Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place it on a large dish or in a plastic bag.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and then pour over the chicken to coat well.
- Marinate in the fridge for 6 to 12 hours or overnight.
- Preheat barbecue to high. Turn off half the burners and place chicken on unlit side, skin-side up, and cook for 30 minutes. Keep the lid closed the entire
- time while cooking.
- Turn chicken over and continue cooking for 30 more minutes.
- The internal temperature should reach 82°C (180°F) in the thickest part of the bird.
- Cover chicken lightly and set aside away from the heat for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, grill lemon halves for a few minutes.
- Cut chicken and serve alongside roasted potatoes and tomato and cucumber salad.
This marinade is also very good with chicken thighs or drumsticks.
To avoid having the fat catch fire and blacken the chicken, it's important to cook it over indirect heat, as indicated in the directions.
Use leftover dill in a tomato, cucumber, or beet salad, in green salads, or with fish dishes.