Montreal, July 19, 2017 – Today, IGA extra Famille Duchemin officially unveiled its green roof nestled in Montreal’s Saint-Laurent borough. This added feature not only makes this IGA the very first Canadian grocery store to sell organic produce grown on its very own roof, but also the one with the largest organic green roof garden in the country at 25,000 square feet. Ecocert-certified organic produce is farmed on site and now available on store shelves until fall.
The largest organic green roof garden at a glance:
- This project developed by IGA extra Famille Duchemin offers a trio of features never seen before in Canada:
- It’s the first supermarket to sell produce grown on its very own roof.
- It’s the very first store to use an irrigation system with water recovered from its dehumidification system.
- Measuring 25,000 square feet, it’s the largest organic garden on a supermarket roof in Canada.
- La ligne verte (The Green Line: Green Roof) partnered in bringing this innovative and ambitious project to life.
- Over 30 different varieties of organic produce certified by Ecocert Canada will be grown on the supermarket’s roof, including lettuce, peppers, herbs, tomatoes, and so much more.
- Keeping the small quantity of soil available on the roof fertile is a huge technical challenge. An agronomist was called in to develop and adapt a fertilization plan.
- In addition to the vegetable garden, the roof is also home to eight Alvéole bee hives, set to produce roughly 600 jars of honey to sell.
- The roof created two full-time jobs: one year-long, the other six months a year.
- Pictures of the project are available at LIEN.
- A video is also available at LIEN.
A few words
“A green roof garden allows us to nourish our passion for food while reducing our environmental footprint, something that is particularly important to us. We are happy to give life to this innovative project and hope it encourages other companies to follow suit.”
Richard Duchemin, co-owner, IGA extra Famille Duchemin
“A leading Canadian grocery retailer and food distributor, Sobeys constantly strives to invest in projects that meet the needs of our customers and communities. Our affiliated grocers are veritable entrepreneurs eager to implement projects that will make a difference in their communities. This project is truly an exceptional example and has taken on a magnitude never seen before in either Quebec or Canada! It’s thanks to grocers like the Duchemin brothers that IGA continues to innovate.”
Pierre St-Laurent, Executive Vice-President - Quebec, Sobeys Inc.
IGA (Independent Grocers Alliance) is the largest group of independent grocers in Canada. In Quebec, its presence dates back to 1953. IGA grocers are constantly looking for new ways to better serve their customers. The IGA banner includes over 300 IGA, IGA extra, and IGA express stores. IGA is the only alliance of grocers in Quebec to offer AIR MILES® reward miles.
Trouvez-nous sur Facebook
Suivez-nous sur Twitter
Inspirez-vous sur Pinterest
Consultez le www.iga.net