Classic vinaigrette is made with a ratio of three parts oil to one part wine vinegar. Add a bit of Dijon to help emulsify, a dash of salt and pepper, and your own personal touch.
- Use a neutral oil like grape seed oil with some more distinctive (and pricey) oil added in. A few drops of extra-virgin olive, nut, or sesame oil is all you need to give it nice flavour.
- Vary the vinegar and the flavour. Think balsamic, sherry, cider, raspberry vinegar, etc., or simply replace the vinegar with fresh lemon or lime juice.
- For a hint of sweetness, add some honey, maple syrup, apple juice, concentrated orange juice, or even a bit of jam.
- Add flavour with seasonings like fresh herbs, citrus zest, curry paste... the list goes on.
- For creamy vinaigrette, add a bit of mayonnaise or buttermilk.
- For a creamy, healthy vinaigrette, mix three parts plain yogurt with one part Dijon mustard and one part maple syrup.
- Testing your vinaigrettes with a spoon can be misleading. Dipping a leaf of lettuce is a better way to taste test.