Bison is prepared like beef, but because it's leaner, it’s cooked more quickly to avoid drying out. Barbecuing is the perfect way to cook bison.
Basic cooking advice
- Let meat sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the skillet or barbecue to high before cooking so the meat browns nicely.
- Add salt right before cooking to avoid drying out the meat.
- Remove meat from the heat a little before reaching desired doneness because it will continue to cook for a while at room temperature.
- Loosely wrap meat in aluminum foil and set aside to rest for ten minutes before cutting.
Food Safety Tips
- Do not allow raw and cooked foods to come into contact. Never place them on the same plate.
- Never serve marinade as a sauce for the meat unless it has been boiled for at least 10 minutes beforehand.