The meat used in the capsule above is a 4-cm (1½-in.) thick ribeye steak.
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
2. Set the meat at room temperature for about 30 minutes. This step in particularly recommended for thick steaks that will be served rare.
3. For a more savoury, juicy steak, season the meat with salt and pepper before cooking.
4. Heat and grease a grill pan. Sear the steak over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes per side per inch (2.5 cm) of thickness and use tongs to turn it over. For steaks thicker than one inch (2.5 cm), finish cooking it in the oven. As a guideline, here is the recommended cooking time or the internal temperature based on desired doneness:
• 5-6 min = medium rare
• 7-8 min = medium
• 9-10 min = well-done
• Medium-rare: 63°C (145°F)
• Medium: 70°C (158°F)
• Well done: 77°C (170°F)
5. Tent the meat with foil wrap and let it sit 5 to 10 minutes. This time will allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat for a juicier steak. Note that the meat's internal temperature will increase by a few degrees while sitting.