1. Preheat oven to 180˚C (350°F).
2. Core apples.
Tip: To make a hole down the middle of the apples for the filling, insert a knife blade horizontally at the base of the apple, and then use a second knife to remove the core, leaving the base intact.
- Chop dried fruit and nuts, and place in a bowl.
- Add soft butter, brown sugar, and lemon juice. Mix well.
4. Stuff apples with dried fruit filling.
5. Place apples in an ovenproof dish, and drizzle with apple juice and maple syrup.
6. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
7. Remove apples from oven and sprinkle with chopped nuts, dried fruit, and fresh berries.
Garnish with oven-dried fruit peel.
A few substitutions:
- Replace apple juice by cranberry or pear juice;
- Replace maple syrup by honey;
- Replace dried fruit by jam or fresh berries.
Tips and advice: How to make fruit peel chips
1. In a bowl, gently combine fruit peelings with your choice of sugar (brown sugar, maple sugar, coconut sugar, etc.) and spices (cinnamon, aniseed, liquorice, etc.).
2. Spread peel on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
3. Bake in oven at 150°C (300 °F) for 40 minutes.