1. Preheat oven to 180˚C (350°F).
2. Remove seeds from pumpkin and cut in half.
3. Brush baking sheet with fat, and lay two pumpkin halves on sheet, cut-side down.
4. Bake in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
5. Scrape pumpkin flesh from peel and pull into strands. Reserve.
6. In a skillet, heat 45 mL (3 tbsp.) oil and cook shallot and dried tomatoes. Add reserved pumpkin. Mix and transfer to a bowl.
7. Cook nuts and dried fruit in skillet and use to top pumpkin mixture. Garnish with fresh herbs to taste and chopped toasted pumpkin seeds.
Tips and tricks: Use pumpkin seeds as a garnish or in a salad
1. Rinse seeds thoroughly in strainer until no orange strands remain.
2. Pat seeds with a tea towel to dry them as much as possible.
3. Toss seeds with oil, salt, and your choice of spices to coat well. Spread on a baking sheet.
4. Place in a 180°C (375°F) oven and turn after 10 minutes. The seeds are ready when golden brown.